The El Paso Branch affiliate of The National Association for the Advancement of Colored People is dedicated to the education of minority groups and citizens of our community. We are proud to have the Scholarship Fund to assist in this endeavor.
Guidelines and the application for the El Paso Branch NAACP Scholarship can be obtained by clicking here. http://naacpelpaso.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/05/NAACP_Scholarship_2019_Application-1.pdf. Under the direction of the Education Committee, the scholarships are allotted to accredited colleges and accredited career and technical colleges or trade schools in the State of Texas.
To be eligible to apply, all graduating high school seniors must complete their education during the 2018- 2019 school years and must meet all graduation requirements as specified by policy and as set forth by the State of Texas before the end of June 2019 of their graduation year. College freshmen and college sophomores are also eligible to apply for our scholarships. All applications must be received by June 1, 2019.
All information provided on this application is considered privileged and will only be used by the Education Committee in determining eligibility for our scholarship. Should you or any of the applicants have any questions regarding this scholarship application, please contact the Education Committee Chairpersons at (915) 857-5608 or (915) 920-8408.
All applications should be mailed to:
El Paso Branch NAACP #6175
c/o Education Committee
P.O. Box 4455
El Paso, Texas 79914
Education Committee Chair
El Paso Branch NAACP
Donald L. Williams, President
El Paso Branch NAACP Scholarship Fund
- The student must be an El Paso County resident.
- Each applicant will be required to submit a sealed official academic transcript. This transcript must be obtained from the school counselor or registrar and mailed directly to the P.O. Box address above.
- College students must have a minimum cumulative Grade Point Average (GPA) of 3.0 on a 4.0 point scale or the equivalent on some other grading scale.
- High school students must have a minimum cumulative Grade Point Average of 80% on a scale of 100%. Any other grading scale will certainly be considered. High school students will also be required to submit verification of their GPA by a high school counselor or official.
- Each applicant must show verification they are enrolled in college full-time or have an acceptance letter from an accredited two or four-year college, university or an accredited career and technical college or trade school in the State of Texas.
- Each applicant must show personal leadership qualities as demonstrated in community service programs or projects.
- Each applicant must submit one letter of character recommendation from a non-relative.
For the Fall Semester 2019, applications must be postmarked on or before June 1, 2019. Applications received after that date will not be considered.
An Application Packet Checklist has been provided. The signed Checklist must accompany your Application Packet. Applications submitted without all required information will not be considered.
All applicants will receive written or verbal notification of their award status by June 15, 2019. If selected, you will be asked to provide a head shot photo for inclusion in our Annual NAACP Freedom Fund and Awards Banquet program. Scholarships will be formally awarded to the selected recipients at a time and event to be announced.
Policy and Procedures
Allocations of scholarship funds shall be based on the number of qualified applicants and the availability of funds for distribution. The maximum scholarship award(s) shall not exceed $1000 per person. The student must send proof of registration as outlined in #5 above.